Salvation Mountain was created by Leonard Knight to spread a message of Love, he expressed how Love is the strongest force on earth and can combat the hate that is so common in todays world. I personally am such a huge fan of Love and so definitely enjoyed my visit at Salvation Mountain. It is a beautiful folk art piece with bright pastel colors that perfectly match the beautiful desert sunset. (I would definitely recommend to stay for it!)
What to wear
You’ll more than likely drive a few hours to get to this destination so I recommend you wear comfortable clothing, and shoes. During long car rides I like to wear comfortable shoes such as sneakers or slip on shoes, with loose clothing. Jeans are the worst! Some colors to keep in mind for this location are red, yellow, and white as they stand out from the multiple colors that are all over Salvation Mountain. Of course be sure that you check the weather ahead of time and dress accordingly 🙂
(How perfectly timed was this photo?!)
Things to know
- Pets are allowed, yay! Of course clean after them and keep them on a leash.
- No drugs or alcohol are allowed on site.
- Only give donations to the donation box or send electronically (through their website) but do not hand cash to anyone on site.
- No HATE is allowed.
- Hours are form dawn to dusk 365 days a year.
- There is a yellow colored trail to follow and not allowed on any other part but so.
Overall it is such a beautiful man-made mountain, that is a visual representation of what beautiful things we as humans can create when we dedicate ourselves to it wholeheartedly with patience and passion!